Build is New Zealand's premier building industry magazine and information resource. Published every 2 months by BRANZ in hard copy and online, its mission is to inform, educate and inspire builders, architects, designers and others to provide better buildings for New Zealanders. Build contains:
- quality practical technical information to enhance building design and construction practice
- impartial findings and advice from independent, unbiased industry research
- information on topical industry issues including changes in the Building Code and standards, new opportunities and trends.
It has been published by BRANZ since 1990 as a bimonthly magazine. BRANZ is an independent and impartial research, testing and consulting organisation inspiring the building and construction industry to provide better buildings for New Zealanders.
At 31 March 2017, the ABC audited circulation of Build increased to 32,388 copies. This is continuing to grow with the addition of all Licensed Building Practitioners. This means Build magazine now reaches over 75,000 decision makers right across the construction industry. Complementing this is Build online, which had over 50,000 page views in June 2016.
Build influences builders, architects, designers, manufacturers, subcontractors, engineers, building suppliers, building officials, education providers, building owners and others in the building industry.
As well as subscribers, Build is sent to members of organisations and associations including:
- New Zealand Certified Builders
- Registered Master Builders Federation
- Licensed Building Practitioners
- Building Levy members
- New Zealand Institute of Architects
- Architectural Designers New Zealand
- Building Officials Institute of New Zealand
- New Zealand Institute of Building
- New Zealand Institute of Building Surveyors
- Building and Construction Industry Training Organisation apprentices and many others.
Build readers' survey
Build magazine carries out regular reader surveys. Comments from respondents in 2016 included:
- 'Love the magazine. Always innovative and cutting edge.'
- 'My favorite magazine, look forward to it arriving every second month.'
- 'Excellent resource.'
- 'Bloody good read. Keeps old blokes up with play.'
- 'I think your magazine is awesome.'
'A good read, well researched and well presented.'
- 'Keep up the great informative work, you really do learn something new every day, or three or four things when I read Build.'
- 'Find the magazine invaluable.'
Cover features for 2017–18
Build 159 April/May 2017 – Resilience / Aiming higher
Build 160 June/July 2017 – Maintenance / Neighbourhoods
Build 161 August/September 2017 – Building controls / Fire
Build 162 October/November 2017 – Who's building NZ / Corrosion
Build 163 Dec 2017/January 2018 – Grand Designs / National Science Challenge
Build 164 February/March 2018 – Seismic learnings / Cleaning up
Build 165 April/May 2018 – Medium density housing / The future is now
Build 166 June/July 2018 – Building quality / Exteriors and interiors