The area around the edge of a roof requires extra fixings to stop it lifting, but how much of the total roof area needs these extra fixings?
Showing results 1-10 of 23
You could be forgiven for getting the wind up about wind speeds, pressures and zones, but don’t worry. Here, we go back to basics to explain how they relate to one another.
With the help of BRANZ data, the Riskscape joint project between NIWA and GNS aims to better predict the costs of damaging wind events on buildings.
Recent changes to NZS 3604:2011 Timber-framed buildings and NZS 4211:2008 Specification for performance of windows has created an inconsistency between wind zones in these standards.
BRANZ Maps, a free online geographic information system (GIS) with information on New Zealand addresses, is now even more useful. You can access it from any mobile device to check wind zones and much more.
Research shows that, apart from some slight changes, light timber-framed buildings designed using our current standards should largely stand up to the increased wind speeds that climate change is expected to bring.
BRANZ was on the ground in Northland last year, examining the effects of a storm on buildings. Roofs bore the brunt of the weather, with structures on exposed terrain the most vulnerable.
Strong wind causes damage to houses, particularly their roofs. A recent BRANZ study started by defining ‘extreme winds’ before developing retrofit solutions to ensure roofs on older houses are adequately secured.
There are sometimes significant discrepancies between the predicted and actual building sway in taller buildings. A new study aims to develop an improved methodology for wind design of buildings.
In April, a tornado removed the roof of a Paraparaumu house. This is not a typical wind occurrence for the area, but it raises the question of whether new houses should be more able to cope with extreme events.
- Build 190 : 1 June 2022 (1)
- Build 186 : 1 October 2021 (1)
- Build 168 : 1 October 2018 (1)
- Build 165 : 1 April 2018 (1)
- Build 153 : 1 April 2016 (1)
- Build 149 : 1 August 2015 (1)
- Build 148 : 1 June 2015 (1)
- Build 147 : 1 April 2015 (1)
- Build 146 : 1 February 2015 (1)
- Build 134 : 1 February 2013 (1)
- Build 129 : 1 April 2012 (1)
- Build 128 : 1 February 2012 (2)
- Build 124 : 1 June 2011 (1)
- Build 118 : 1 June 2010 (1)
- Build 114 : 1 October 2009 (1)
- Build 111 : 1 April 2009 (1)
- Build 107 : 1 August 2008 (3)
- Build 106 : 1 June 2008 (1)
- Build 99 : 1 April 2007 (1)
- Build 95 : 1 August 2006 (1)