Strong wind causes damage to houses, particularly their roofs. A recent BRANZ study started by defining ‘extreme winds’ before developing retrofit solutions to ensure roofs on older houses are adequately secured.
Showing results 1-10 of 20
Roof failures in high winds are unfortunately too common in timber-framed buildings, but get the connections right, and the roof should stay put.
Most timber trusses are delivered to site as one-piece building components. However, occasionally they are delivered in sections and must be joined on site. Correct installation of these is critical to maintain the designed load paths.
The area around the edge of a roof requires extra fixings to stop it lifting, but how much of the total roof area needs these extra fixings?
Not only is technology changing building design, it’s changing product development. Build talks to Dave Stampa, National Manager for Steel & Tube Roofing, about the process involved in the development of their latest roofing profile.
A suggested risk matrix for steel and concrete buildings up to 15 storeys could inform decision making in façade component choice and installation for some buildings that fall outside the scope of E2/AS1.
Roof bracing is one element in a continuum that provides resistance to horizontal loads. It works with the wall and foundation bracing to supply a total bracing package for a building.
Most new chimneys are just a chimney shape that encloses the flue, unlike traditional solid chimneys. We look at some of the construction, fixing and bracing requirements for both options.
Calls to the BRANZ Helpline indicate that there is still confusion about the correct use of bottom plate anchors with concrete floor slabs.
Good roof system design is a critical part of a good building. A roof designer must consider cost, performance and appearance, but it’s important to keep a few other factors in mind.
- Build 179 : 1 August 2020 (1)
- Build 167 : 1 August 2018 (1)
- Build 162 : 1 October 2017 (1)
- Build 160 : 1 June 2017 (1)
- Build 154 : 1 June 2016 (1)
- Build 150 : 1 October 2015 (1)
- Build 149 : 1 August 2015 (1)
- Build 145 : 1 December 2014 (1)
- Build 131 : 1 August 2012 (1)
- Build 123 : 1 April 2011 (1)
- Build 122 : 1 February 2011 (2)
- Build 119 : 1 August 2010 (1)
- Build 107 : 1 August 2008 (1)
- Build 106 : 1 June 2008 (1)
- Build 104 : 1 February 2008 (1)
- Build 103 : 1 December 2007 (1)
- Build 100 : 1 June 2007 (1)
- Build 96 : 1 October 2006 (1)
- Build 85 : 1 December 2004 (1)