Strong wind causes damage to houses, particularly their roofs. A recent BRANZ study started by defining ‘extreme winds’ before developing retrofit solutions to ensure roofs on older houses are adequately secured.
Showing results 1-10 of 18
With the help of BRANZ data, the Riskscape joint project between NIWA and GNS aims to better predict the costs of damaging wind events on buildings.
There are sometimes significant discrepancies between the predicted and actual building sway in taller buildings. A new study aims to develop an improved methodology for wind design of buildings.
Research shows that, apart from some slight changes, light timber-framed buildings designed using our current standards should largely stand up to the increased wind speeds that climate change is expected to bring.
Enquiries to the BRANZ helpline show that the meanings of characteristic strength, capacity, ultimate load and serviceability load are not well understood. We take a look at what the various terms mean.
Roof failures in high winds are unfortunately too common in timber-framed buildings, but get the connections right, and the roof should stay put.
Most timber trusses are delivered to site as one-piece building components. However, occasionally they are delivered in sections and must be joined on site. Correct installation of these is critical to maintain the designed load paths.
The area around the edge of a roof requires extra fixings to stop it lifting, but how much of the total roof area needs these extra fixings?
A suggested risk matrix for steel and concrete buildings up to 15 storeys could inform decision making in façade component choice and installation for some buildings that fall outside the scope of E2/AS1.
While we can’t change New Zealand’s gusty climate, there’s plenty we can do to minimise its impact. Clever siting of buildings, modifying the landscape and providing shelter in the form of fences and plantings help.
- Build 190 : 1 June 2022 (1)
- Build 176 : 1 February 2020 (1)
- Build 162 : 1 October 2017 (1)
- Build 150 : 1 October 2015 (1)
- Build 149 : 1 August 2015 (2)
- Build 146 : 1 February 2015 (1)
- Build 145 : 1 December 2014 (1)
- Build 144 : 1 October 2014 (1)
- Build 141 : 1 April 2014 (1)
- Build 133 : 1 December 2012 (1)
- Build 123 : 1 April 2011 (1)
- Build 118 : 1 June 2010 (1)
- Build 111 : 1 April 2009 (1)
- Build 107 : 1 August 2008 (2)
- Build 106 : 1 June 2008 (1)
- Build 100 : 1 June 2007 (1)