Where it’s possible to fall 1.0 m or more from a deck, the Building Code requires a barrier able to withstand all imposed, wind and impact loads. We look at some options.
Showing results 1-10 of 17
Enquiries to the BRANZ helpline show that the meanings of characteristic strength, capacity, ultimate load and serviceability load are not well understood. We take a look at what the various terms mean.
Roof failures in high winds are unfortunately too common in timber-framed buildings, but get the connections right, and the roof should stay put.
In a major overhaul of the BRANZ Lintels and Beams Calculator, an updated producer statement, additional drawings and more options for types of beams and fixings are now available.
NZS 3604:2011 Timber-framed buildings does not define stud length or height. This is creating some confusion, especially when continuous studs for chimneys or parapets pass intersecting framing. BRANZ has some advice.
While we can’t change New Zealand’s gusty climate, there’s plenty we can do to minimise its impact. Clever siting of buildings, modifying the landscape and providing shelter in the form of fences and plantings help.
Most new chimneys are just a chimney shape that encloses the flue, unlike traditional solid chimneys. We look at some of the construction, fixing and bracing requirements for both options.
Recent changes to the loading standards will mean changes to the design of barriers.
An online calculator has replaced the paper version of the BRANZ Guide to lintels and beams.
Good roof system design is a critical part of a good building. A roof designer must consider cost, performance and appearance, but it’s important to keep a few other factors in mind.
- Build 183 : 1 April 2021 (1)
- Build 170 : 1 February 2019 (1)
- Build 167 : 1 August 2018 (1)
- Build 166 : 1 June 2018 (1)
- Build 162 : 1 October 2017 (1)
- Build 160 : 1 June 2017 (1)
- Build 155 : 1 August 2016 (1)
- Build 149 : 1 August 2015 (1)
- Build 146 : 1 February 2015 (1)
- Build 145 : 1 December 2014 (1)
- Build 144 : 1 October 2014 (1)
- Build 141 : 1 April 2014 (1)
- Build 135 : 1 April 2013 (1)
- Build 122 : 1 February 2011 (1)
- Build 120 : 1 October 2010 (1)
- Build 110 : 1 February 2009 (1)
- Build 107 : 1 August 2008 (1)