Securing roofs against wind uplift is a crucial step in the building process. Fortunately the cost of doing so adds very little to the overall cost of the building.
Showing results 1-10 of 20
Most timber trusses are delivered to site as one-piece building components. However, occasionally they are delivered in sections and must be joined on site. Correct installation of these is critical to maintain the designed load paths.
The area around the edge of a roof requires extra fixings to stop it lifting, but how much of the total roof area needs these extra fixings?
There have long been questions about whether a single gable end truss is suitable for fixing cladding to and, if so, what is the maximum height before a 2-ply gable end truss is required? For the answer, we look at the design of gable end trusses.
Proprietary wall bracing systems are commonly used to brace a building, but how are braced walls connected to a concrete slab? We look at both NZS 3604:2011 and proprietary wall bracing elements requirements.
Roof bracing is one element in a continuum that provides resistance to horizontal loads. It works with the wall and foundation bracing to supply a total bracing package for a building.
Installing windows can be tricky, but there’s plenty you can do to make it easier.
Calls to the BRANZ Helpline indicate that there is still confusion about the correct use of bottom plate anchors with concrete floor slabs.
Stricter enforcement of work at height is now in force. As work ramps up, it’s time to get to grips with scaffolding best practice.
The larger shank diameter of fixings used to fix weatherboards over a cavity can cause splitting. One way to get around this problem is to fix timber cavity battens directly to the structural framing.
- Build 182 : 1 February 2021 (1)
- Build 180 : 1 October 2020 (1)
- Build 172 : 1 June 2019 (1)
- Build 170 : 1 February 2019 (1)
- Build 159 : 1 April 2017 (1)
- Build 154 : 1 June 2016 (1)
- Build 150 : 1 October 2015 (1)
- Build 146 : 1 February 2015 (1)
- Build 145 : 1 December 2014 (1)
- Build 133 : 1 December 2012 (1)
- Build 126 : 1 October 2011 (1)
- Build 123 : 1 April 2011 (2)
- Build 110 : 1 February 2009 (1)
- Build 106 : 1 June 2008 (2)
- Build 104 : 1 February 2008 (1)
- Build 94 : 1 June 2006 (1)
- Build 85 : 1 December 2004 (1)
- Build 61 : 1 November 2000 (1)