What’s the main difference between roof construction options? BRANZ explains the science to help you design better roofs.
Showing results 1-10 of 17
An energy audit at Remuera Intermediate School also investigated the potential of photovoltaics to give the school an independent energy supply and income from feeding surplus electricity into the grid.
Strong wind causes damage to houses, particularly their roofs. A recent BRANZ study started by defining ‘extreme winds’ before developing retrofit solutions to ensure roofs on older houses are adequately secured.
New research suggests installing photovoltaics on roofs and driving electric cars could transform low-density suburbia from a high-energy consumer to an energy provider for the city.
A recently completed major BRANZ research project has improved understanding of how roofing underlays handle moisture in roofs and led to the development of a new test suitable for a wider range of roofing underlays.
A new BRANZ research project is looking to improve the methods of determining the level of fire resistance necessary in parts of buildings to limit fire spread.
BRANZ research has provided reassuring results for those wanting to add passive ventilation in roof cavities to counter condensation. Corrosion of metal fixings inside the roof space remains low, even in extreme marine environments.
Some roof designs, such as skillion roofs, must include ventilation to manage roof moisture. Recent BRANZ research provides advice on the best place for effective vent openings in low wind zones.
House location on a hill or the flat, materials used and when it was built have proven to be among the factors that determined how properties stood up to the Canterbury earthquakes.
To simplify the consenting process for structural insulated panels (SIPs), we need to know how they perform locally. A BRANZ research project is helping by examining SIP durability, earthquake and fire performance.
- Build 187 : 1 December 2021 (1)
- Build 180 : 1 October 2020 (1)
- Build 171 : 1 April 2019 (1)
- Build 164 : 1 February 2018 (1)
- Build 163 : 1 December 2017 (1)
- Build 161 : 1 August 2017 (1)
- Build 155 : 1 August 2016 (1)
- Build 140 : 1 February 2014 (1)
- Build 137 : 1 August 2013 (1)
- Build 135 : 1 April 2013 (1)
- Build 126 : 1 October 2011 (1)
- Build 120 : 1 October 2010 (1)
- Build 118 : 1 June 2010 (1)
- Build 111 : 1 April 2009 (1)
- Build 107 : 1 August 2008 (1)
- Build 105 : 1 April 2008 (1)
- Build 97 : 1 December 2006 (1)