Natural drying of a concrete slab will take several months and it’s important to ensure fixed floor coverings aren’t installed too soon.
Showing results 1-10 of 18
BRANZ has been researching how to improve the insulation of concrete slab-on-ground floors and has found an alternative method which is practical and improves performance.
A waterproof coating is essential to maintain the weathertightness of single skin concrete block walls since concrete masonry, and particularly the mortar joints, have little resistance to water penetration.
Lessons from the Canterbury earthquakes mean that all concrete floor slabs must now be reinforced with steel bars or welded mesh with a reasonable degree of ductility.
Reinforcing is an integral part of all concrete and concrete masonry. We review NZS 3604:2011 requirements for foundation walls in timber-framed buildings so you can get this right.
Many builders have had a concrete and formwork failure that they would rather forget. It’s an area of construction where listening to the wisdom of experienced tradespeople is vital, but the following pointers may also help.
Heating costs could be cut if we do as Americans and Europeans do and add perimeter edge insulation to heated concrete floor slabs.
In Build 155 Within tolerance, we outlined some of the allowable tolerances to work within for a quality result. Here, we’ve summarised that information into convenient tables.
Do you know how to bend your steel to get the right curve for the size bar you’re bending? Perhaps you had better check how far you can bend that bar on site.
Do you know the minimum bending diameter for reinforcing steel and its cover requirements in concrete footings? This determines the minimum width you need to make your concrete footings.
- Build 176 : 1 February 2020 (1)
- Build 173 : 1 August 2019 (1)
- Build 167 : 1 August 2018 (1)
- Build 156 : 1 October 2016 (1)
- Build 155 : 1 August 2016 (1)
- Build 153 : 1 April 2016 (1)
- Build 151 : 1 December 2015 (1)
- Build 138 : 1 October 2013 (1)
- Build 127 : 1 December 2011 (1)
- Build 120 : 1 October 2010 (1)
- Build 118 : 1 June 2010 (1)
- Build 112 : 1 June 2009 (1)
- Build 105 : 1 April 2008 (1)
- Build 100 : 1 June 2007 (1)
- Build 92 : 1 February 2006 (1)
- Build 89 : 1 August 2005 (1)
- Build 87 : 1 April 2005 (1)
- Build 84 : 1 October 2004 (1)