Build is New Zealand's premier building industry magazine and information resource. Published every 2 months by BRANZ in hard copy and online, its mission is to inform, educate and inspire builders, architects, designers and others to provide better buildings for New Zealanders. Build contains:
- quality practical technical information to enhance building design and construction practice
- impartial findings and advice from independent, unbiased industry research
- information on topical industry issues including changes in the Building Code and standards, new opportunities and trends.
It has been published by BRANZ since 1990 as a bimonthly magazine. BRANZ is an independent and impartial research, testing and consulting organisation inspiring the building and construction industry to provide better buildings for New Zealanders.
At 30 September 2017, the ABC audited circulation of Build increased to 34,338 copies. This means Build magazine now reaches over 75,000 decision makers right across the construction industry. Complementing this is Build online, which has about 30,000 page views a month.
Build influences builders, architects, designers, manufacturers, subcontractors, engineers, building suppliers, building officials, education providers, building owners and others in the building industry.
As well as subscribers, Build is sent to members of organisations and associations including:
- New Zealand Certified Builders
- Registered Master Builders Federation
- Licensed Building Practitioners
- Building Levy members
- New Zealand Institute of Architects
- Architectural Designers New Zealand
- Building Officials Institute of New Zealand
- New Zealand Institute of Building
- New Zealand Institute of Building Surveyors
- Building and Construction Industry Training Organisation apprentices and many others.
Build readers' survey
Build magazine carries out regular reader surveys. Comments from respondents in 2016 included:
- 'Love the magazine. Always innovative and cutting edge.'
- 'My favorite magazine, look forward to it arriving every second month.'
- 'Excellent resource.'
- 'Bloody good read. Keeps old blokes up with play.'
- 'I think your magazine is awesome.'
'A good read, well researched and well presented.'
- 'Keep up the great informative work, you really do learn something new every day, or three or four things when I read Build.'
- 'Find the magazine invaluable.'
Cover features for 2018–19
Build 166 June/July 2018 – Building quality / Exteriors and interiors
Build 167 August/September 2018 – Climate action / Building compliance
Build 168 October/November 2018 – Changes ahead / Safety at work
Build 169 Dec 2018/January 2019 – Comfortable indoor environments / Access and egress
Build 170 February/March 2019 – Managing sites / From towns to cities
Build 171 April/May 2019 – Building information modelling / Fire
Build 172 June/July 2019 – Exceeding the minimum / Canterbury